18 graham cracker or 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 stick of butter melted
2 cups of heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 egg yolks
Pinch of sea salt
6 oz semi sweet chocolate chopped
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 egg whites, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon corn starch
- Spray a 9 inch pie dish with. The first time I tested this I didn’t do this and the crust stuck so don’t miss this step!!
- In a food processor blend your graham crackers until texture is fine. Add in melted butter and pulse until the texture resembles that of wet sand. Press graham cracker crust evenly into pie dish and place in freezer until ready to bake.
- Make your filling. In a microwave safe bowl, warm the heavy cream for 2 minutes or until its bubbling. Set aside.
- In a saucepan (not turned on yet), whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until smooth. Add flour and cocoa powder and mix. Slowly pour in the hot heavy cream and turn the heat onto medium. Whisk continuously until mixture thickens about 5-7 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Remove from heat and add chocolate and stir until chocolate melts. Pour the filling into your prepared pie pan. Place plastic wrap over mixture and place in fridge overnight.
- Make your meringue when ready to serve. Using the bowl of a stand mixer place egg whites and sugar. Set it over a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar dissolves, the best way to tell if sugar has dissolved is to feel it with your fingers and it should not feel super grainy. Takes about 4 minutes. Place the bowl on a stand mixer and beat on medium-high, add in cream of tartar and corn starch and beat until stiff peaks form about 6 minutes. Place on top of pie and then use torch to brown edges.