- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks cold butter, 1/2 inch diced
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cherries pitted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove all the pits from your cherries and chop them up.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add in your cubes of cold butter and use your hands to massage butter into the flour mixture until most of the butter chunks are the size of small peas. Add in your cherries and chocolate and cover them with the flour.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Drizzle over dry ingredients and use a spatula to fold wet ingredients into dry. Fold until just combined, do not over mix.
- Carefully dump rugged dough onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead the dough to create layers. *to knead dough fold one side of dough to the other and lightly push with the palm of your hand, turn dough to the other side and repeat 5 times.*
- Pat into a 1-inch thick circle. Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 8 pizza slices. Place scones on prepared baking sheet and brush with egg wash mixture. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown and when you lightly push the center it springs back.
- Make the chocolate drizzle glaze. Wait until scones are completely cool before starting this, approximately 30 minutes. In a small bowl, place chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir it up and then put in the microwave again for 30 seconds until chocolate is melted. Drizzle over scones.