Let me just start by saying, there is no one happier that 2019 is over than me. I am so excited for a fresh start and looking forward to a year of growing, challenging myself and learning to let myself live- despite my fears. If you have been following me for a little now, you know that 2019 was not my year. I hate to sound cliche, but I really want to make it count this year. I made a list of all the things I have been wanting to learn, places I want to travel to and things I want to experience and I am so eager to start working on those. I’m not really focusing on resolutions per se, I’m mainly focusing on acknowledging what brings me the most joy and simply doing more of that.
One of those things are these “healthified” chocolate banana muffins!!! Because while I love baking, I also want to be a little more conscious of the amount of processed sugar I am consuming. I’m all about balance but if there’s a healthy dessert I can consume every day then say no more. These have zero added sugar and are only sweetened with bananas and maple syrup. (Pro tip- the riper the banana, the sweeter it is!) They are also dairy-free and can be made gluten-free by subbing with a 1:1 gluten free flour.
You can really use one bowl to make these if you like but I always like to mix my dry ingredients separate to avoid getting and chunks of baking soda in the finished products. These really require minimal prep time and are a perfect treat to bring into the office or have on hand for a quick breakfast. I really hope you guys enjoy this recipe!
If you make this recipe, please share with me on Instagram @bakethedgeoff. I would love to see all your creations. 🙂
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup coconut yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup enjoy life dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 6 cup muffins tins with muffin liners or parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flours, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use the back of a fork two smash 2 ripe bananas. Add coconut yogurt, egg, coconut oil and maple syrup. Mix until well combined. Add cocoa and stir until combined. Fold in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips and mix.
- Use a cookie scooper to evenly divide batter into 9- paper lined muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave in tin for 10 minutes to cool then transfer to a cooling rack.
- For a bakery style looking muffin, you can a couple extra chocolate chips to the top when they come out of the oven.