Christmas is creeping in so fast this year it seems like! My tree is up, my house is decorated BUT it didn’t officially feel like the holidays until I made these gingerbread cookies that it really felt like THINGS WERE GETTING REAL. First of all, the way these make your house smell while you are baking them is to die for. I also am not a fan of traditional gingerbread cookies, or really ginger flavored things in general, but these. okay these hit different.
The taste and texture are amazingly soft, yet crunchy, perfectly sweet yet not to sweet and a well balanced zing of ginger and molasses. They would probably taste amazing dipped in any sort of milk and are addicting warm out of the oven. I personally like that they are soft and chewy on the inside and the turbinado sugar on the outside is a MUST. It gives the cookies a nice crunch and it looks really pretty.
I really hope you guys love this recipe. They are really easy and fun to make, the main thing to keep in mind is that the butter and egg need to be at room temperature! The rest is a piece of cake. These would be perfect to bring to a Christmas party, a cookie exchange or even Santa would absolutely them! 😉
If you make this recipe, I would love to see! Please share on Instagram and tag me @bakethedgeoff! It really makes my day when I see your creations using my recipes.
- 1 1/2 sticks of salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Turbinado sugar for rolling cookies in
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer combine butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add in molasses and beat until creamy. Slowly add dry ingredients on low speed.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. One baking sheet will be used to actually bake the cookies on and the other will be used to place cookie dough balls on before we roll into turbinado sugar.
- Using a 1 inch sized (or tablespoon size) cookie scooper scrape dough out and then use your hands to roll into balls and place on baking sheet. In a bowl add your sugar and then roll each cookie dough ball into the sugar until covered.
- Bake in the oven for 11 minutes. Remove pan from oven and lightly tap the baking sheet on the counter 2-3 times. The cookies will deflate. Let sit on baking sheet for another 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.