Happy fall! It’s still in the high 80’s here in Florida but it’s not 90 anymore so we are going with fall. Fun fact: I used to live in Boston, Massachusetts during my freshman year of college. One of my dear friends I met while living there, Catherine Graham better known as Catty-G, introduced me to apple picking.
One of the downsides of growing up in Florida is missing out on all four seasons. I had never experienced the great joy of wandering through a field with your best friend and biting into deliciously red apples that we picked ourselves. Needless to say, this Cream Cheese Cardamom Apple Galette takes me right back to that day on the farm with Catty-G, except these apples are sadly bought from a grocery store.
Let’s break this galette down. Golden-brown, flaky puff pastry that is sweet and spicy from the cardamom + sugar sprinkle. A soft, cream cheese filling that has loads of flavor with delicious Honeycrisp apples on top, drizzled with lots and lots of honey. Oh. So. Much. Yum.
The best part about this? It is so simple to make and can be put together in under an hour with baking time included. All your friends will be so impressed.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to share it with me! Please tag me on Instagram @sirennapatapis!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2-4 Honeycrisp apples, thinly sliced
- 1 beaten egg
- Coarse sugar + cinnamon + cardamom, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a hand mixer beat together cream cheese, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, brown sugar and honey in a large bowl.
- Roll out the puffed pastry on a lightly floured surface into a large square. Make sure to not roll out to thin that it breaks. Transfer pastry to lined baking sheet. Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the pastry using a butter knife or spatula, leaving about 1 inch of the border around the edge. Arrange apple slices on top of filling however you like!
- Using your hands fold over the edges along the border. Beat egg until foamy; brush over crust and sprinkle all over with sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. Drizzle with honey.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Once the puff pastry has risen and is golden brown the galette is done baking. Serve warm, with ice cream…trust me.
“The words you speak become the house you live in.”HAFIZ
Photos shot by my friend Day Tomko. To see more of her pictures follow her on Instagram @day.tomko