Growing up, I was a serious cereal fanatic. When I was not eating cereal, I was thinking about eating cereal. Even my freshman year of college I lived off Fruity Pebbles and pizza (yep, definitely gained the freshman fifteen). Does anyone else remember the Scotcheroos recipe off the Rice Krispies cereal box? My mom used to make these for us all the time as a kid.
These are a little different because instead of using corn syrup, um ew, I replaced with a natural sweetener and a couple of other tweaks to make these more of a healthyissshhhhh snack or dessert or pre game to your favorite show type of treat. IDK.
This version is a little healthier than the Rice Kripies one but still tastes delicious. This recipe is perfect to make for a last minute dessert to bring to a party or to make on the weekends to have something sweet that takes very little time and effort.
I highly recommend licking the spoon on this one because WOW please try and find me something better then peanut butter. I’m waiting….
If you decide to make this recipe, I would love to see your creations! Please tag me on Instagram @sirennapatapis. Happy Baking!
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 cups chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- *optional flaky sea salt
Makes about 12
- Line a 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat whisk maple syrup, vanilla and coconut oil until coconut oil has melted. Take off the heat and add in the peanut butter and stir until combined.
- Add Rice Krispies to the peanut butter mixture and fold until the peanut butter is combined.
- Pour the mixture into baking pan and press out until each corner is covered.
- To melt the chocolate, place chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl for 1-2 minutes. Stirring after every 30 seconds until silky smooth. Pour chocolate over bars and spread with back of spoon.
- Place in fridge for at least 1-2 hours before cutting into squares
Notes: you can also sub Rice Krispie treats for Cheerios and they would still be delicious!